This course is designed as follow-up to Advanced Composite Manufacturing 2 and is intended for those wishing to further their knowledge of composite manufacturing, whether in preparation for employment in the advanced composite manufacturing industry, or as engineers or technicians desiring a further understanding of the practical skills involved in producing quality composite structures. Participants should have a high school diploma or GED. Shop experience is beneficial but not required.
At the end of part the Advanced Composite Manufacturing 3 course, participants will have an intermediate-level knowledge of machining, trimming and drilling composite components using fixtures, surface preparation methods/secondary bonding of structures, and component assembly methods and techniques, and will also have acquired fundamental knowledge of the resin vacuum infusion manufacturing process.
Key lecture topics:
- Documentation of in-process and post-process operations
- Rejection reports, cause and corrective actions
- Machining, trimming and drilling composite components
- Surface preparation and adhesive bonding of composites vs metals
- Composite structure assembly methods and procedures
- Resin infusion processes: Vacuum Infusion Process (VIP), Resin Transfer Molding (RTM), Vacuum Assisted Resin Transfer Molding (VARTM), etc.
- Darcy’s law/permeability discussion
- Resin ingress vacuum egress plumbing design
Key workshop exercises:
- Trim and drill components for assembly using a Trim and Drill Fixture (TDF)
- Surface preparation and bond-assembly of components
- Installation of bonded nutplates and inserts
- Prepare mold for infusion layup process
- Layup, arrange inlet and vacuum plumbing, vacuum bag and infusion of panel
- Inspect all panels and assemblies and document findings
This course may be taken independently or applied toward the three-course Advanced Composite Manufacturing Certificate offered through Extended Studies at the University of Nevada, Reno.
No sections of this course are currently being offered.