This course analyzes the operations of casinos and examines the many internal and environmental cultures. Participants will study the structures of the casino’s departments and their functions. Particular attention will be placed on the function of the hotel, food and beverage, meetings and conventions, and entertainment divisions.
Learn how casino culture, organization, management and make-up have evolved over time. Discover the impact casinos have on employee lifestyles and the functions of the Human Resources department. Finally, the course looks at casino culture as part of larger and local communities through its addressing of gambling and addictive behaviors and how it functions as a community-minded organization.
Participants will be engaged in weekly online discussions about the industry-wide operational concerns, which will provide an authentic basis for problem-solving and decision making. Articles presented will reflect the Canadian, American and international perspectives on gaming. We will look at career profiles from executives within the casino industry to better understand the demands that are placed upon decision makers. A final assignment will allow for analysis of current external challenges within the gaming industry at a strategic level. It will allow participants to review the broad role that organizational structure and casino culture play in meeting the needs of both a specific customer base and the organizations’ employees.
Course Objectives: At the completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Discuss the organizational structure of a casino
- Examine the various departments within the organizational structure
- Distinguish how the casino hotel functions within the overall casino organization
- Explain how food and beverage, meetings and conventions, and entertainment divisions of a casino function within the overall organization
- Identify the impact casinos can have on employee lifestyles
- Examine the function of the Human Resources department in a casino
- Outline how casinos can be responsible members of their communities
There is a discount of 10% for two or more participants from the same organization. Please call our enrollment services staff at 1-800-233-8928 or 775-784-4046 for the discount.