This self-paced online certificate program covers key topics in sustainable business management. Sustainability refers to the ecosystems and their resources in a manner that satisfies current needs without compromising the needs or options of future generations. A sustainable business is one that generates profits for its owners, protects the environment and improves the lives of the people within whom it interacts. Learners who complete this program will understand the reasons for sustainability’s increase in popularity, the connection between the environment and sustainability, the business case for embracing sustainable management within an organization, the role government regulation plays in sustainability efforts, some criticisms of corporate sustainability, how to apply sustainable management principles in the workplace, how to apply the triple bottom line (TBL) concept and its three pillars of "People, Planet and Profits" in organizations and how to recognize and implement best practices for measuring sustainable management efforts.
This certificate program consists of the following five self-paced courses:
- An Overview of Sustainable Management: Provides an overview of sustainable management and discusses the role of government and regulation in sustainable management practices.
- Corporate Social Responsibility: Reviews the concept of organizational responsibility and its impact on society and the environment.
- Measuring Sustainable Management Performance: Reviews the measurement of sustainable management practices and performance.
- Sustainable Management: Leadership Ethics: Reviews ethical standards and frameworks and applies them to workplace scenarios.
- Triple Bottom Line Accounting: Explains the concept of triple bottom line (TBL) and global reporting initiative (GRI) as well as economic, environmental, and social performance indicators.
Each course offers an assortment of interactive exercises, videos, selected readings, case studies and self-assessments. Students can expect to spend about three hours in each course. Each course has an “Ask the Expert” feature, which submits your questions directly to an expert in the field you are studying. Questions are answered as quickly as possible (usually within 24 hours). Participants must achieve average test scores of at least 70% to meet certificate completion requirements, and they will have three attempts at all graded assessments. Students will have one year to complete the certificate.
This program does not have any prerequisites or require additional purchases of supplementary materials. Participation in the program requires high-speed internet access and a valid email address.