Beginning and advanced certificates offer strategies to resolve conflicts early and enhance organizational efficiency.
Mediation is a voluntary, confidential process that involves the skillful intervention of a third-party professional to help resolve disputes that arise between two or more parties. Mediators help clarify key issues, build possible options and devise solutions that work well for all.
These programs provide preparation for professionals in human resources, coaching, social work, marriage and family therapy, legal, educators and others who work to enhance relationships between multiple parties, assist with employee conflicts, improve supervisory skills, and develop strategies to recognize and resolve conflicts early. Mediation skills are useful for those who consult or work in private industry or in public or government agencies.
Mediation and Conflict Resolution Certificate Programs provide:
- Knowledge of the concepts and practices of mediation, its uses and limits
- Understanding of the core principles and values that guide the mediation process
- Instruction in the skills required to differentiate between personal styles
- Mediation skills related to communication, listening, problem solving, cultural diversity and agreement writing
- Development of an awareness of your own values and personal biases, including those toward people in conflict
- Proficiency in the use of the tools of mediation, and confidence in the capabilities of your co-mediators and the potential for individuals to handle problems in their own lives
- Certificate of course completion from the University of Nevada, Reno and the Neighborhood Mediation Center