The world of gaming is a fast-paced, high-technology, cutting-edge business environment. The best managers are competent problem-solvers and decision-makers. Good decision makers rely on a structured process that helps them and their teams approach challenges with consistency. This course provides a close look at a decision-making framework for application in the gaming environment. In today's competitive casino environment, managers face new challenges every day, and their ability to make sound decisions will impact both organizational and individual success. Managers and leaders in the gaming industry need to make quality decisions and to lead their team to also make quality decisions that will ensure long term viability for their properties. This course allows participants to examine a decision-making framework and discuss the application of this framework to real-life gaming situations.
Weekly online discussions reflect industry-wide operational concerns and provide an authentic basis for problem solving and decision making. Additional articles assist in presenting Canadian, American and international perspectives on gaming challenges. An examination of casino case studies that reflect the complexities of the gaming industry will also help participants to better understand the demands that are placed upon decision makers. The final assignment will allow students to apply the decision-making framework to an authentic gaming/casino situation.
Course Objectives: At the completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Examine the elements of quality decision-making.
- Discuss key components of content quality through the use of the goals, priorities and alternatives in gaming/casino decision-making.
- Discuss key components of process quality through the use of information, people and objective reasoning in gaming/casino decision-making.
- Practice applying the GPA IPO framework to casino/gaming challenges with confidence in approaching decisions
- Apply a consistent framework to decision-making
- Improve the ability to lead a team in making high-quality decisions to achieve organizational success.