This course examines food and beverage operations within the gaming environment. From small to large, all gaming operations have incorporated food and beverage services into their offerings. Food and beverage operations play a strategic role in building a brand, satisfying customer needs and supporting revenue generation. This course will encourage discussions around food and beverage topics such as the restaurant industry/segments, culture in food services, beverage products and services, hotel banquet management, and food and beverage operations in casino environments.
Weekly online discussions reflect industry-wide food and beverage concerns and provide an authentic basis for problem-solving and decision making. Additional articles present the Canadian, American and international perspectives on food and beverage in the gaming industry. These discussions will prepare students to assess their knowledge through quizzes, short answer questions and a final assignment. The final assignment will allow students to develop customized responses to a casino food and beverage case study that can reflect the nature of the environment in which they operate professionally or reside. This course is designed for entry-level managers and those aspiring to be in gaming management positions.
At the completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Explain the importance of the restaurant industry and its segments in the hospitality industry and other industries.
- Understand the challenges facing leadership in managing casino food and beverage operations.
- Discuss the different ways to analyze the operations of casino food and beverage outlets and departments.
- Describe the impacts of globalization on the food service industry.
- Understand the manager’s role in ensuring both high-quality and responsible service of alcoholic beverages.
- Describe the role of the banquet department within gaming properties.