This course provides a general overview of the casino surveillance role in the gaming environment. Participants will look at both the historical and current role of surveillance in securing a property and controlling loss in casino properties. Surveillance utilizes cameras for property protection with a primary focus on safeguarding cash and cash equivalents, games and the casino floor. Surveillance operations may differ from location to location, but their primary importance remains unchanged.
This course will focus on assisting individuals within gaming management or aspiring to enter gaming management to develop a deeper understanding of the strategic approach to conducting and maintaining secure operations utilizing surveillance equipment. Participants will discuss surveillance game protection, internal theft and fraud, and investigations. The role of technology in the current and future operation of surveillance departments will be examined.
Weekly online discussions will reflect industry-wide surveillance concerns and provide the basis for authentic problem solving and decision-making within this unique division of gaming. Additional readings will present a global view of casino surveillance challenges. A final assignment helps students to review the integral role that casino surveillance plays in the industry.
At the completion of this course, participants will:
- Review the history of casino surveillance and technological changes that have fueled the current state of casino surveillance.
- Discuss surveillance officer roles and outline training requirements.
- Recognize the surveillance skills and strategies required in games protection and common indicators of concern.
- Examine the fundamental techniques used in effective investigations.
- Explore the future direction of surveillance operations.